Day 25: Homemade Sprinkler with She Wears Flowers


Sprinkler 16
Hello, HomeSpun Threads Readers! I am so thrilled to be with you today sharing a bit of summer fun. I am Tammy and I blog at She Wears Flowers. I am a mom to sweet twin 10-year-old girls and a sassy three-year-old girl, too. It's all about girls in our home, with the occasional concession for the one boy--my great husband. I like to share my projects on my blog and they aren't even all girl projects!
We have a lot of fun during the summer spending long days together, but the all-time favorite activity is anything that involves W-A-T-E-R!
MYO {awesome} Sprinkler
Materials
2 10 foot pieces of 1/2 inch PVC pipe
1 PVC t-joint
1 PVC hose to pipe connector
4 PVC elbow joints
PVC cement
PVC pipe cutting tool (optional, but super nice!)
drill with 1/16 inch drill bit
Sprinkler 2
Instructions
Cut 10 foot pipes into 4 four feet pieces.
You will not need the excess amount, but be sure to save it in case you need to make repairs later.
(I don’t think it is a given, but why waste anything you may need?)  Sprinkler 4
The PVC pipe cutting tool is about $10 and well worth it.
If you prefer, you can use a hack saw to cut PVC.Sprinkler 3
Drill random holes along the length of each 4 foot pipe.
Try to keep the holes towards the upper third of the pipe, but you can slant them any direction. Sprinkler 5
Cut one 4 foot section of pipe in half. The hose connector and t-joint will be used here.
Sprinkler 7
Use PVC cement to glue the t-joint, the hose connector and the pipe pieces together.Sprinkler 8
Glue the remaining pieces together using the elbow joints to connect each side and make a square.
Let PVC cement dry completely (it’s quick) and screw hose into hose connector piece.Sprinkler 10
Turn the water on low…Sprinkler 11
or, turn the water on high…Sprinkler 9
then jump…Sprinkler 13
and run and have a ball in your new sprinkler!Sprinkler 14
When you are ready to put it away, just unscrew the hose, tip the sprinkler up and drain out the water.
It easily stores away until the next time you want it.Sprinkler 12
There are so many great features—it's inexpensive, easy to make, flexible, durable, easily repaired and, best of all, SO FUN! This is very durable, but if you do break a section, you can easily repair it with another t-joint and a small piece of PVC pipe. Remember, don’t throw away your excess when you first make it—save it for sprinkler emergencies.
My girls LOVE this new sprinkler and can’t wait to use it for the summer. They got to try it out once this year before it got cold and rainy again so we are crossing our fingers for summer weather.
Thanks for letting me share a project here today, Aimee!
I hope you will all stop by She Wears Flowers and see what I am up to!

39 comments:

April Fontenot said...

Fun!  I love PVC!  It's got so many fun uses!  And cheap!...my favorite!

Jennifer said...

So much fun - we'll make one this summer!
Jennifer
www.bigdandme.com

Kristy Neeley said...

AWESOME!! What a great idea!  Thanks for sharing.  Kristy from www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com

Lila said...

I just saw this on pinterest. I can't wait to try to make it into a car wash: http://pinterest.com/pin/29518701/
Great tutorial!
Lila

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

What an awesome idea---I'd love to see how you make the carwash. We want one, too! ;)

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

Ooops--I just followed the link and saw it on Pinterest, too--so amazing!

Aimee Larsen said...

That car wash is really cool.  Does anyone know who the original picture belongs too?

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [29 May 06:30am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Threadinherhair said...

This is such a great idea and I love that it's durable and inexpensive. Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the adapter? I spent 25 minutes at Lowes with no luck!

Rachel said...

How awesome is that!  I love it and know my kids would too!  Can you link it up to "its playtime"?  I want to feature it this week!!

Momofaba said...

I am going to try this for my school's Field Day.  What a great idea!

Rebeccalewann said...

I can't wait to make this for my grand-critters AND my garden!

ginny said...

Just a minor correction...if you break it you can joint it back together with a "coupler".  Might help at the hardware story instead of having to seal off the end of the T Joint. :) awesome idea!

Danniellrogers said...

This could be built big enough to go around a small garden, just leave it set up and hook up the hose when you need to water. Love it! I might just have myself a garden this year!

Nation said...

We made on yesterday and the kids LOVE it! We were the envy of our block! lol My husband made a VERY large octagon because we had a TON of PVC up in the rafters just sitting there. Thanks for the AWESOME idea!

nicole arsenault said...

im with you we just made one and the water doesnt come up at all :( all that work and the kdis are bummed :( oh well we tried at least !

Aimee Larsen said...

Water pressure is usually the culprit. Ours worked better in our front yard than our back because we have more pressure there.

Sunday said...

This is genius :-) :-) :-) !!!!! Can't wait to try it at my preschool!!!! Thanks for the super idea!

lfrank1018 said...

So cool! I'd love for you to share at my Outside Play Party.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the hose to pipe connector? I can't find one anywhere?

Anonymous said...

How did you get the plastic connectors to attach to the metal hose?

Derek TC said...

And you may have made the holes too big.

Tiffany said...

I had a friend that made this today and at first it failed because she had to many holes. She went back and covered some of the holes with duck tape and it worked perfectly. Only 12 holes per 4 foot piece made a huge difference:) hope this helps!

Kieron said...

Your pics show no holes drilled in the pvc with the t that the hose connects too.  Is this correct don't drill holes in this side?  Thanks!

Momofmytwo said...

This is such an awesome idea, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm going to make one for my Grandsons :)

Leah said...

So fun!  Thanks for sharing this!  My husband and boys made one last week... I posted a couple of pictures of our results here:  
http://project414.com/2012/07/16/vacation/#more-840    We had the best time playing with our new sprinkler!

jennifer orsini said...

This is an awesome idea with so many other uses.

I think you should know that your project has been totally ripped-off by Instructables, who do give a link back to this article, but then go ahead and re-do your project exactly the same way!!!!
(have they no shame?)
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Run-Through-the-Sprinkler-Sprinkle/

Anonymous said...

Don't even try this if you have low water pressure, it wont work.

Kurt Verdejo said...

That's so awesome! The cute little gal seemed to have a lot of fun playing with it. That's one thing my kids will surely love. I gotta try this at home!

http://www.totalplbg.com/

Tom said...

I would think you'd want to put the t-cupler very close to the 90 degree corner for ease of draining the sprinkler system.

tvstreamjm said...

i bought a sprinkler for 10 dollars wish i had seen this before http://jamtechnews.blogspot.com

LGF1974 said...

making my shopping list now! Has anyone tried this without using the cement? I'd like to be able to take it apart at the end of the season (or at least partially disassemble, for storage as straight edges). Perhaps only the hose connection needs cement? Other things i've made with PVC, those connections are really tight on their own, but i haven't needed to run water through those structures. Also, I'm cheap - could make my desired size for $8 without cement, $15 with cement :) for the raised garden.

Dana said...

We have something similar watering a grow bed in our aquaponics system. We didn't use any glue because we need to be able to take it apart for occasional maintenance. Also, for a garden, I'd recommend thinking about pointing the holes down so that the water doesn't spray up so much. Then you don't lose as much to evaporation.

Christy said...

This is an awesome idea! I made one in about 2 hours with drying time for the cement. However, I didn't get the spray I hoped for when I turned our water on. I think it's because we live on well water and we might not have enough pressure. But I'm hoping to give it to one of my friends in the city and hopefully it will work better for them.

Luigi 'The Quaker' said...

love it, it could also be used around borders to water plants. great Idea, I have shared it and placed a link on my blog too. thank you for this fantastic idea

Linda Gayle Jackson Holt said...

Thank you so much for sharing this great idea. I thought you'd like to see what I wrote when I shared it on Facebook

JoBCcan said...

Don't put so many holes in the pvc maybe? Thanks I'm on a well too I'm thinking I'll use this for a buried waterer in my beds...

TLPoague said...

My sister made one of these and her children loved it. It was simple and cheap. It also worked well to water her garden when the kids weren't using it. Great idea.

Your friend in Christ,

               

Blog Archive

Yep, I'm on InstaGram too. Search for thatadvocaregirl